African Heritage Graduation Ceremony
Saturday, May 22, 2021 at 4 p.m. - Virtual
Kean University, 1000 Morris Avenue, Union, New Jersey
The 34th Annual African Heritage Graduation Ceremony includes undergraduates, graduates and doctorates from January and candidates who have filed for graduation in May and August. This ceremony is a cultural celebration which family, friends and the Kean community come together to honor students’ personal success and academic achievements in the spirit and traditions of our African culture.
Friday, May 14th, by 12:00 a.m. midnight
Deadline to submit an online registration to participate as a graduate in the 34th Annual African Heritage Graduation Ceremony. Registration will close at midnight, eastern time.
Remember: Before registering for the ceremony, be sure to have a clear, head and neck photo of yourself to upload with your information. We are asking all graduates to wear all black or African garb attire.
Congratulations, Kean Graduates:
Concerned Black Personnel (C.B.P), The Office of Africana Studies, and The Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (D.E.I) have organized a program to celebrate and acknowledge your hard work and accomplishments.
To the class of 2020 and 2021, we could have never predicted the circumstances of your graduation year, but please know that your determination and your persistence to succeed shines brightly, even though we are away from campus.
Access your virtual A.F.H.G ceremony by clicking the You tube link here: https://youtu.be/YwwpwTFlvKo
Instructions for the day - AFHG virtual ceremony:
- The Ceremony page will begin at 3:45pm with a photo montage of Kean alumni and moments of the previous ceremonies.
- The ceremony will begin promptly at 4:00pm and will last no more than an hour.
- Towards the end of the video, each graduate will be recognized with their name being called and shown on the screen.
- The Nathan Weiss College graduates will be called first and Undergraduates will be called in the second segment. Graduate’s names will be presented in alphabetical order.
- Graduates will have the opportunity to download a pdf copy of AFHG ceremony program.
- There is a unique slide for each participating graduate. The slides include the graduate’s name, degree earned, photo, and honors of distinction, if applicable.
- Graduates who have an accumulative GPA of 3.45 or higher, will be recognized.
3.85-4.00 – Summa Cum Laude
3.65-3.84 Magna Cum Laude
3.45-3.64 – Cum Laude
- We kindly ask if you would engage for the entire program to celebrate and cheer on your colleagues for this historic event.
- Your complimentary Kente Stoles are available and will be ready for pick up on Tuesday, May 25th in Hutchinson Hall, Suite 103, room S & T in the Office of Africana Studies between the hours of 9am to 5pm.
- Posting to social media? Include #AFHGKU2021 in your posts, so we can share your celebratory images and videos during the virtual ceremony.
Possible ways to celebrate and enjoy your virtual AFHG Ceremony:
- Host a video call with your fellow graduates and alumni.
- Make Party food and decorate an area of your home with family and friends.
- Wear African Garb or all Black Attire wearing your Kean 2021 Sash & Take a selfie and/or pictures with friends and family.
- Create a slide with your picture and encouraging words.
REMEMBER TO POSTS PICS ON FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM AND TWITTER: