Student Research Stipend
Congratulations, you’ve been awarded a grant for your project! What are the next steps?
- You will receive an email containing information and instructions about stipend processing. Please read these instructions carefully. Please share this information with your students and complete the necessary areas of the stipend form including:
- Payee Information (Date, Kean ID, Phone Number, Student Name, Student Email, Street Address, City: State: Zip:, Work history Status)
- Funding Info/Award Description ( e.g. SpF, RTR, UFRI) and Semester Information (e.g. Summer II )
- Total Stipend Amount, Amount Paid Per Pay Period, Pay Period Payments Begin Date (See payroll schedule on payroll website)
- Funding Information (Fund, Cost Center and Object Code). Mirela will provide this information.
- Once you have obtained signatures from the PI and the Dean, please email the complete stipend form to ORSP@kean.edu for ORSP signature.
- Finally, once the stipend is signed off by ORSP, we will return the form to you for submission to the appropriate departments (HR and Payroll).
Please, refrain from sending incomplete stipend forms to ORSP for signature, as we will not be able to process them until the information is complete. All sections must be completed before the form is submitted to ORSP.
HR/Payroll Paperwork Process (Research Internships, Grants and Research Assistants)
Students who are already in the payroll system (e.g. is a student worker, had a research assistant stipend before, is a GA) are required to provide the original copy of the stipend contract to the ORSP department.
If the student is not in the payroll system, the following documents need to be submitted in addition to the research stipend contract- these documents should be sent to the appropriate office – NOT to ORSP. See below:
- Original signed stipend contract
- Original State W-4 form
- Original Federal W-4 form
- Direct Deposit form
- Voided check or direct deposit information from bank
- Original Student Authorization to Hire form
- Original Student Application
- Original I-9 Form
- Original I-9 acceptable documents to verify work eligibility
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Copy of signed stipend contract
- Copy of State W-4 form
- Copy of Federal W-4 form
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
- Original Research Stipend Form (Fill out the top section)
- PI section and Dean section must be completed and signed before submitting to ORSP
*Timeline to submit these documents is within 10 business days, starting from the time the email is sent.