Student Research Stipend
Congratulations, you’ve been awarded a grant for your project! What are the next steps?
You will receive an email containing information and instructions about stipend processing, including the following documents: New hire paperwork, instructions on how to submit that paperwork and the student stipend form. Please read this email and instructions document carefully. Please share these documents with your students and complete the necessary areas of the stipend form including:
- Payee Information (Date, Kean ID, Phone Number, Student Name, Street Address, City: State: Zip:, Work history Status)
- Funding/Award Description and Semester
- Total Stipend Amount, Amount Paid Per Pay Period, Pay Period Payments Begin Date
- Funding Information (Fund, Cost Center and Object Code). Mirela will provide this information.
If your student has not worked or been paid by the University previously, they will have to complete and submit the new hire paperwork to the appropriate offices, as illustrated in the email.
Finally, once the stipend is signed, we will return the document to you for submission to the appropriate departments, explained further in the instructional email and the instructions document attached to the email you received.
*Please, refrain from sending incomplete stipends for signature, as we will not be able to sign the document until it is complete.
HR/Payroll Paperwork Process (Research Internships, Grants and Research Assistants)
Student who is already in the payroll system (i.e. is a student worker, had a research assistant stipend before, is a GA) is required to provide the original copy of the stipend contract to the ORSP department.
If the student is not in the payroll system, the following documents need to be submitted in addition to the research stipend contract- these documents should be sent to the appropriate office – NOT to ORSP. See below:
- Original signed stipend contract
- Original State W-4 form
- Original Federal W-4 form
- Direct Deposit form
- Voided check or direct deposit information from bank
- Original Student Authorization to Hire form
- Original Student Application
- Original I-9 Form
- Original I-9 acceptable documents to verify work eligibility
- Copy of Social Security Card
- Copy of signed stipend contract
- Copy of State W-4 form
- Copy of Federal W-4 form
Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
- Original Research Stipend Form (Fill out the top section)
- PI section and Dean section must be completed and signed before submitting to ORSP
*Timeline to submit these documents is within 10 business days, starting from the time the email is sent.