Insurance Coverage Updates
2020 HEALTH INSURANCE MARKETPLACE INFORMATION
Kean University does not offer a student health insurance plan. Students must obtain their own health insurance that is compliant with the Federal Patient Protection and Affordability Care Act (PPACA). Those individuals who do not have coverage with a PPACA-compliant plan will be subject to tax fines. The federal government has established health insurance exchanges that allow families and individuals to compare coverage and related costs among a variety of insurance companies.
The open enrollment period for 2020 is now closed. You can enroll in or change plans if you have certain life changes or qualify for Medicaid or CHIP. To find out if you qualify, follow the links under "How to Apply."
How to Apply
- Online: https://www.healthcare.gov/ or https://www.cuidadodesalud.gov/es/.
- Phone: 1 (800) 318-2596 / TTY: (855) 889-4325.
- For in-person enrollment, visit: https://localhelp.healthcare.gov.
UNIVERSITY INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS
Federal law requires all citizens to have health insurance. Residential students and students enrolled in the Center for International Studies program must provide proof of insurance at the start of every academic year.
How to Provide Proof of Insurance (for Residential and International Studies Students):
- Log onto KeanWISE.
- Click the “Students” tab.
- Below the “Other” heading, click the Residential and International Students Proof of Insurance Submission link.
- If you are a residential student who is applying for insurance during this open enrollment period, you must bring proof of your plan to Student Health Services before the start of the Spring 2019 term.