Health absences are granted for issues of a medical nature. If your diagnosis is mental health-related, a request for a Wellness absence should be directed to the Counseling Center.
There are two types of absences: Short Term Leave and Semester Withdrawal. Read the following and decide which is best for you and your circumstances.
Short Term Leave
If a student will be absent from class for five consecutive days but less than two weeks, due to medical reasons, the student may request a Short Term Leave.
Please note short term leaves are not available for half-semester courses. Students taking half-semester courses will need to apply for a semester withdrawal.
A Semester Withdrawal is required if a student will be absent for two (2) weeks or longer. In this case, the student will be withdrawn from all classes for the current semester. The student will receive a "W" grade on their transcript for the semester.
Steps To Request a Short Term Leave or a Semester Withdrawal
Steps 2 through 5 take place within the Student Health Portal. Questions about the Student Health Portal can be directed to our reception team at firstname.lastname@example.org or (908) 737-4880.
- Print or download the Semester Withdrawal Provider Form and give it to your healthcare provider to fill out. Print or download the Short Term Leave Provider Form for Short Term Leave requests. Requests will not be processed unless the Provider Form is complete.
- Upload the completed Provider Form in the Document Upload area of the Student Health Portal.
- Select Semester Withdrawal Documents - Student Health Svc for Semester Withdrawals
- Select Short Term Leave Documents: Student Health Svcs. for Short Term Leave
- Send a new message to the Certified Medical Assistant, Medical Records Coordinator or the Professional Services Specialist in the Messages area. Include the following information in the message:
- In the Subject write Short Term Leave or a Semester Withdrawal
- Your full name and Kean University ID number.
- Clearly state if you are requesting a Short Term Leave or a Semester Withdrawal
- Forms will be added to your Student Health Portal; Complete the leave or withdrawal form in the My Forms area.
- Confirmation that your request has been processed will be sent in the Messages area in the Student Health Portal.
All documents will be reviewed and processed after they have been uploaded and the appropriate form has been completed in the Student Health Portal.
Allow three to five business days for a response regarding the determination of a request.
You may check on the status of your request by sending a new message to the Certified Medical Assistant, Medical Records Coordinator or the Professional Services Specialist in the Messages area of the Student Health Portal
Once a determination is made, Kean Wellness Center will notify the following:
For a Short Term Leave, the student is copied and the instructors are notified of the absence. This process should not be a substitute for student communication with his or her instructors.
For a Semester Withdrawal, the student is copied and the Registrar and Financial Aid offices are notified. If you are a student that resides on campus, an email is also sent to the Office of Residence Life.
Financial Impact of Semester Withdrawal
A semester withdrawal does not automatically guarantee a refund or a deletion of a balance due. Refunds are processed according to the deadline dates on the Academic Calendar provided by the Office of the Registrar. Students who experience a health or wellness issue during the last few weeks of a semester should review the Incomplete Grade policy in the current Undergraduate or Graduate Catalog.
A Semester Withdrawal may have a financial impact on student accounts. Student Health Services does not process financial requests. Information about tuition, fees and Financial Aid can be found on the Office of Student Accounting and Office of Financial Aid websites.
The withdrawal or “W” grade is not counted in the cumulative grade point average.