Whether applying through the CommonApp, the Kean University application, or if you are a current KU student, a portfolio of original, creative work is required for entry into the Michael Graves College.
Enrollment to the Michael Graves College is limited and competitive. Please contact the main offices to request more information.
Robert Busch School of Design Main Office: 1-908-737-4740
School of Public Architecture Main Office: 1-908-737-4770
APPLY HERE External Applicants
Once the application is submitted, instructions for uploading the portfolio are sent through email notification. In addition, see below for an overview of the portfolio submission guidelines.
APPLY HERE Current Kean University Students
See below for an overview of the portfolio submission guidelines.
CREATIVE WORK / PORTFOLIO REVIEW GUIDELINES
The Michael Graves College requires a portfolio of creative work to be evaluated for acceptance into the architecture and design programs. First Year, Transfer, and current KU students must complete the creative work requirement. Students are expected to be prepared and have experiences and knowledge in the visual arts in order to gain entrance to the rigorous programs of study for the BA, BFA, and BID degrees.
- A minimum of 10 individual pieces of creative work and no more than 12 will be accepted into the review. All images must be in the individual file uploads; please do not combine multiple items into a single file unless you are displaying the details of one individual work or a sketchbook.
- Your best work should display your creative thinking and skill in basic design and drawing. Select examples in a variety of media and subject matter.
- You may include items created on your own or while in school. All items shown must be your own, original creative work.
- An essay (400-word minimum) is also required. Essay prompt is noted in SlideRoom.
IMPORTANT: PLEASE LABEL AND IDENTIFY EACH ITEM IN YOUR PORTFOLIO.
CATEGORY & CRITERIA FOR EVALUATION
- Visualization: Effective Sketching and Drawing Skills
- Visual Form: Effective Use of Visual Elements and Principles of Composition
- Technical: Effective Use of Traditional Art Media and/or Digital Media
- Creativity: Unconventional and/or Unique Solutions and Conceptual Strength
- Presentation: Variety and Range in the selection of creative work
- Professionalism: Maturity and Thoughtfulness of Essay