Educational Administration (M.A.)
Educational administrators ensure that schools run smoothly and effectively for our students.
Steeped in a long tradition of promoting public education, Kean offers three master's degrees and five certificates in educational administration that all focus on preparing visionary school leaders and transformational change agents to respond to shifts in the educational landscape while maintaining an accessible, personable environment.
Our curriculum offers a balance between theory and practice that provides valuable knowledge and training to aspiring principals, supervisors, school business administrators and others. Our students study public administration, school law and policy, among many other topics of interest on campus or online.
Kean graduates work in a host of roles at schools across NJ and beyond, including as the new New Jersey Commissioner of Education.
My experience at Kean University allowed for me to find welcoming classmates who offered intriguing adult conversation that revolved around our major, engaged faculty members who were always a click away, literally, and technology that allowed for smooth completions of online assignments both in and out of the classroom...a package that is priceless when you are a graduate student trying to juggle coursework and a full time job."
At Kean we believe learning and job growth extends far beyond the walls of our classrooms. That's why we encourage you to take advantage of a variety of research opportunities available to you, study abroad and pursue internships that will advance your career or set the stage for another advanced degree.
1. Do I need to submit an application prior to registering for Field Study I and II?
All students must complete a field application prior to registering for Field Study I and II.
2. What are the important departmental dates/deadlines that I should be aware of?
The departmental calendar, which contains important dates/deadlines, can be found under the Forms and Departmental Calendar tab.
3. How many credits can I take as a non-matriculated student?
Students are allowed to take up to a total of six credits as a non-matriculated student.
4. I am in my last semester of completing my program requirements and would like to apply for my state certification through Student Support Services in the Office of the Registrar. What is the process for doing this?
Any student who wishes to apply for state certification through Kean University’s Student Support Services in the Office of the Registrar must follow the directions under the Application for State Certification, which can be found under the Forms tab in the Current Students section. Please note that this must be done while you are currently a student in the program. If you complete the program prior to applying for certification you must do so through the state.
5. I am interested in registering for a course off campus. Who should I contact to get permission to register?
Off-campus classes are coordinated through the Bureau of Educational Services. For more information, please contact Ms. Janice Heath at email@example.com, or at (908) 737-3887.
6. I am interested in obtaining information related to financial aid. Who should I contact about this?
Financial aid information is available through the Financial Aid Office.
7. I need a petition to register for a course. How do I go about obtaining this?
Please contact Ms. Wanda Gonzalez at firstname.lastname@example.org or (908) 737-5970 in the Department of Educational Leadership to obtain a petition.
8. Do I need to take a departmental qualifying exam prior to graduating from the Master’s in Educational Administration program?
Yes, all students in the Master’s in Educational Administration program must successfully pass the departmental qualifying exam prior to graduating from the program (the only exception is for students enrolled in the Post-Master’s Certification program for Supervisor). Please note the qualifying exam must be taken between Fields I and II.
9. Can I defer if I am accepted to the program?
No. Unfortunately, we do not offer this option.
The best way to see all that Kean University has to offer is to visit our vibrant urban campus. Plan your visit now.
Our admissions counselors are here to help you navigate the college application process. Learn more.
So much awaits you at Kean University. Your Kean journey begins now. Apply today.