Craig Konyk is the Chair and Associate Professor of Architecture at the School of Public Architecture in the Michael Graves College at Kean University. He is the founder of KONYK, an innovative architecture & urban design studio (www.konyk.net).
Prior to coming to Kean, Craig taught both at Pratt Institute’s GAUD and Columbia GSAPP. He has been awarded two NYFA fellowships, two ACSA Design Awards, six AIA New York Chapter Design Awards, and has exhibited work at Parsons School of Design, the Architectural League of New York, and the Storefront for Art and Architecture.
Craig has been named an Emerging Voice by the Architectural League of New York and a finalist for the Rome Prize in Urban Design by the American Academy in Rome. He has served on the Boards of the Architectural League of New York, The Architect’s Newspaper and Artists Space Gallery in New York.
Craig’s research interests include investigations into new areas of experimental preservation and its impact on architecture and urbanism. He is currently at work on research on “The Preservation of Destruction”, a survey of how events of mass destruction and trauma remain recorded in the fabric of cities, along a wide spectrum from intense remembering to attempting to forget. To that end, he recently contributed a chapter entitled, “City of Crystal” to the publication “Open Gaza” (ed. by the late urban theorist, Michael Sorkin, AUC Press 2021), which proposed a new temporal rebuilding strategy for Gaza City.
- Konyk C. Gaza, City of Crystal. In M. Sorkin (Ed. (deceased, COVID-19)) Open Gaza. New York: UR Books, 2020.
- Konyk, C. (2020, Feb/March). Learning from Japanese Structural Design; A review of Guy Nordenson’s book. Architect’s Newspaper, Vol. 10 (2), p. 1, 47.
- Konyk C. (2017). Book review of Elastic Architecture: Frederick Kiesler and Design Research in the First Age of Robotic Culture, by Stephen J. Phillips. Constructs, Yale University’s School of Architecture Journal, Vol. 19 (1), p. 16. (Nina Rappaport, ed.)
- Konyk C. (2016) Neuromancing: The Fine Romance of Ideas and Architecture; review of Drawing Ambience: Alvin Boyarsky and the Architectural Association Exhibition at the Arthur A. Houghton Gallery at The Irwin S. Chanin School of Architecture of the Cooper Union, New York, NY. Constructs, Yale University’s School of Architecture Journal, Vol. 18 (2), p. 12. (Nina Rappaport, ed.)
- Konyk C. (2015) Palestine Fast Forward: Riwaq and the Preservation of Progress. In K. Bshara & S. Amiry (Eds.), Reclaiming Space: The 50 Villages Project in Rural Palestine, (1st ed., pp.82-91). Ramallah: RIWAQ.
- Konyk C. (2015), Craig Konyk. In The Architectural League of New York (Ed.), 30 Years of Emerging Voices: Idea, Form, Resonance, (1st ed., p. 144). Princeton Architectural Press.