IRB & Research Compliance
Kean University supports research as an integral element of its mission to advance and disseminate knowledge. The University's practices and policies in support of research firmly uphold the highest standards of ethics and integrity and comply with all federal and state regulations and guidelines. In order to help fulfill this mission, Kean University has established an Institutional Review Board, an appointed group of researchers from across disciplines, who review all human subjects research applications according to federal and state regulations and university policies. All faculty, students, and employees who conduct research involving human subjects must comply with University Policy and Procedures for the Protection of Human Subjects in Research.
Institutional Review Board
The Institutional Review Board (IRB) is charged with review of proposed research protocols in order to ensure that the rights of human subjects are protected and that risk of harm to subjects is minimized. The framework for protection of human subjects is set in Federal regulation.
IRB members review all assigned research protocols to ensure that:
- Risks to subjects are minimized
- Risks to subjects are reasonable in relation to anticipated benefits
- Selection of subjects is equitable
- Informed consent is properly obtained from all prospective subjects and documented
- Subject’s privacy and confidentiality are protected
- Appropriate additional safeguards are incorporated for any vulnerable subjects
IRB Application Deadlines - AY2018-2019
- Wednesday, October 10, 2018
- Monday, November 5, 2018
- Friday, November 30, 2018