Occupational Therapy (M.S.) Admission Requirements
This program admits in the Summer II semester only.
In addition to the University’s admission requirements:
- Baccalaureate degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 from all colleges attended
- Minimum grade of "B" or better in each prerequisite course
- Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- Three letters of recommendation; one letter must be from an occupational therapist. These can be uploaded to the electronic application. Letters must be dated within two years of applying.
- Documented observation of occupational therapy services within a variety of age groups and practice areas for a minimum of 40 hours in two or more practice settings. Each applicant may choose from a diverse variety of settings, such as: hospital settings, community-based programs, skilled nursing facilities, early intervention, school-based programs, home care, outpatient programs, hand therapy sites and/or mental health sites. Please complete the OT Observation Rating Form for each site.*
- Current professional résumé/CV
- Personal statement
- Respond to a departmental question: "Describe a current event or societal issue and how you feel OT could impact the situation"
- Departmental interview may be required
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score reports
*Observation hours are not required for admission to Kean’s OT programs for the Summer 2021 admission cycle. Applicants should still explore the profession prior to applying to the OT program to ensure you understand the scope of occupational therapy.
Please submit a document describing how you explored the profession of occupational therapy to ensure a strong career fit. These learning activities may include but are not limited to: observation hours, watching YouTube videos, listening to podcasts, participating in blogs and speaking with occupational therapy practitioners.
As you explore the profession, ensure that you gain an understanding of various practice settings in which OT's can work, as well as how OT's serve individuals across the lifespan. Given the unforeseen circumstances impacting the settings and clients in which OT's serve, securing observation hours do not provide any advantage to your application at this time.
Prerequisites Coursework ("B" or better required)
|Life Span Developmental Psychology (1)||3|
|Introduction to Occupational Therapy (2)||3|
|Intro. to Sociology or Cultural Anthropology||3|
|Anatomy & Physiology I and II (w/lab) (1)||8|
(1) These courses must be taken within five years of application to the program.
(2) Must be completed at Kean University.
Students may complete the required prerequisite at any accredited institution. If you intend to complete these prerequisites at Kean University, you may apply to the University as an undergraduate second-degree, non-matriculated student.
Note: Meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee interview or admission. Interviews will be conducted at the discretion of the Occupational Therapy Department admissions committee.
BOTH the OTCAS application and the Kean University CAS supplemental application MUST be completed and "verified" by the deadline in order for the application to be fully reviewed.